NZ River Name Polygons (Pilot)
Toitū Te Whenua Land Information New Zealand
This dataset provides river name polygons for mainland New Zealand. It is part of a pilot to understand the benefit of combining river names and location, and making these openly available through the LINZ Data Service.
Unnamed rivers are also included in this dataset.
**How this data can be used**
Together with the [NZ River Name Lines (Pilot)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/103632) dataset, these are the first openly available datasets with NZ river names attributed to geometry features (lines and polygons). This data can be used for searching for a named river and zooming to its extents, extracting geometries of a named river, creating digital cartographic products displaying river names, and analysing other features against named rivers (e.g. identifying buildings or properties within a specified distance of a particular river).
The river names and extents in this dataset are based on the cartographic text shown on NZ Topo50 maps as of December 2018, and are an approximation and should not be taken as official. Further details are included in the 'Naming Extents Methodology' section in the 'Lineage' of this metadata.
Please refer to the [NZ River Name Lines and Polygons (Pilot) Data Dictionary](https://nz-river-names.readthedocs.io/en/latest/introduction.html) for detailed metadata and information about this dataset.
[NZ River Name Lines (Pilot)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/103632) - contains smaller rivers captured as line features instead of polygons.
We recommend using the two river name datasets with the following NZ Topo50 layers for connectivity and visualisation of inland hydrographic features.
- [NZ Coastlines (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50258)
- [NZ Island Polygons (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50288)
- [NZ Lagoon Polygons (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50292)
- [NZ Lake Polygons (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50293)
- [NZ Pond Polygons (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50310)
- [NZ Swamp Polygons (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50359)
The [NZ River Name Lines and Polygons (Pilot) Data Dictionary](https://nz-river-names.readthedocs.io/en/latest/introduction.html) provides details on how to download the matching time period snapshots of this data.
- Official geographic names as listed in the [New Zealand Gazetteer of place names](https://www.linz.govt.nz/regulatory/place-names/find-place-name/new-zealand-gazetteer-place-names) must be used in all official documents as per the New Zealand Geographic Board (Ngā Pou Taunaha o Aotearoa) Act 2008.
- This pilot dataset is unlikely to be updated, however feedback will be used for future enhancements to LINZ river datasets.
**APIs and web services**
This dataset is available via ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS REST services, as well as our standard APIs.
[LDS APIs and OGC web services](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/103631/webservices/)
[ArcGIS Online map services](https://linz.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=23752bcc628c4760bdb96d311adc8954)
River name line geometries were derived from the following NZ Topo50 datasets as of December 2018:
- [NZ Canal Centrelines (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50250)
- [NZ Drain Centrelines (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50262)
- [NZ River Centrelines (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50327)
River name polygon geometries were derived from the following NZ Topo50 datasets as of December 2018:
- [NZ Canal Polygons (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50251)
- [NZ River Polygons (Topo, 1:50k)](https://data.linz.govt.nz/layer/50328)
This dataset was derived from NZ Topo50 datasets which were captured at a scale suitable for 1:50,000 maps with a spatial accuracy of +/- 22 metres. Some features may be more accurate where they have been realigned recently.
**Naming Extents Methodology**
River name extents were derived from the position of cartographic text shown on NZ Topo50 maps.
Where the extents were arbitrary, the most logical extent was used based on the flow of the river's water.
Upstream extents towards a river's source were based on a single source tributary. Where this was arbitrary, the longest upstream tributary was used.
In some cases, upstream extents were unnamed if they were significantly long in distance (eg. 10km) and it was not obvious they should be named.
Where official extents were available in the New Zealand Gazetteer of place names, an attempt was made to match these as of December 2018.
-47.131833332 166.433140841 -34.4217824823 178.546533445