The Topo50 map series provides topographic mapping for the New Zealand mainland, Chatham Islands, offshore islands, and offshore dependancies at 1:50,000 (some of the islands at 1:25,000) scale.
For Tokelau the printed map scale is 1:25,000. Although presented at 1:25,000 this layer, for all intents and purposes, forms part of the Topo50 map series.
Along with the paper-based Topo50 map series, digital images of the maps are also publicly available.
Georeferenced raster digital images are provided at a resolution of 300 DPI. Georeferencing allows adjacent maps to be accurately and automatically aligned within GIS systems.
For more information, and a description of the georeferencing keys:
Please be aware of the following:
- The existence of a road or track does not necessarily indicate public right of access.
- Contact local authorities for the latest information on tracks and huts.
- Not all aerial wires, cableways and obstructions that could be hazardous to aircraft are held in the data.
- Contours and spot elevations in vegetation areas may be less accurate.
- Not all pipelines including both underground and above ground are held in the data or shown on the printed maps. For the latest information please contact the utility and infrastructure agencies
- Permits may be required to visit some sensitive and special areas.